27 Jun Sustainability applied to the design of Smart cities
As part of the pavement maintenance construction management contract for the Barcelona City Council (Spain), which has the consortium IM3-Socotec Spain, on June 3rd and 4th, the resurfacing of Aragó street was carried out, between Casanovas and Tarragona, located 10 blocks from Barcelona’s Eixample, with the complication of organization and redistribution of traffic that this entails, and there were hardly any traffic jams.
The construction management team for this resurfacing, integrated by Fernando del Pozo, Sergi Cunill and Abdelhaq Fennich, with the approval of those responsible for paving at Barcelona City Council, promoted together with the constructor, Firtec, belonging to Sorigué group, the use of RUGOFIR 10 ultra-thin layer, semi-hot (extended at 140ºC), which has implied a series of advantages for the environment, in addition to being able to carry out the work in a very short execution period. The main advantages are:
- Minimize the milling of the existing pavement, by applying an ultra-thin layer, which has meant a saving of 300 tons of this waste.
- Reduce the amount of aggregates in the reinforcement layer, as it is only 2 cm thick, maintaining the sound-reducing characteristics demanded by the city, especially in a street as busy as Aragó.
- The mix has introduced a percentage of ADDPLAST recycled plastic polymer (equivalent to 300,000 plastic bags).
- The saving of 11.80 tons of CO2 eq.
- A calculated reduction in emissions of 25.70%.
Thus, the group of technicians from Barcelona City Council, the consortium IM3-Socotec construction management, and the constructor, Firtec, promote the use of innovative pavement layers, the improvement of the environment in manufacturing and execution, and the circular economy.